Friday, April 6, 2012

>:O


So, you may remember that last year I got a new video recording device. Unfortunately, having (a year later, cough) gotten around to actually using the thing, I can't really recommend it. The recorder itself works great, but it has one single fatal flaw - the recorder puts out divx video. Guess what file format the fucking software bundled with the recorder can't handle? Yeah. Div fucking X. I was like (see image at left). So this means that if you want to edit the file at all - say, to remove the little bit of load screen that got captured because you had to hit Record early because the video recorder has some start-up lag and otherwise it misses the first couple seconds of video - well, you're shit out of luck; Off to Google to see if you can find a free DivX editor, sucker. Which is what I'm doing now, by the way - that's how much I love my fans; I'm wasting an afternoon fucking around with Video Pad Pro or whatever to cut out four seconds of loading. You may appreciate my sacrifice now.

So long story short, that Roxio devicewas a bust. Next up I got my eyes set on this - anyone who gets it for me gets a year's worth of requests.

2 comments:

MAD-TRON said...

Just FYI, the HDPVR is only really good for taking video at 480p or above. It does display audio and video from any input source, though, so if you have Fraps you can capture that shit indirectly from your Windows desktop and crop/resize to your satisfaction.

Alternatively, I don't know if Avidemux takes DiVX files or not, but if you haven't tried it yet it's worth a shot -- I compressed and edited all my Spyro LPs this way, and it's free:

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

Spapadiidaduuu said...

AVS Video Editor can edit DivX just fine. I think new Pinnacle studio can edit DivX as well. They are not free but you should try them out. Finding a FREE video editor (that is also usable) is mission impossible anyway.