Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Hideous WCW PlayStation Wrestling Game Month!!!!!!

Oh, fuck. Here we go. Yes, it's WCW playstation wrestling game month! The card is:

August 6th: WCW Nitro
August 13th: WCW Thunder

Now I'm gonna be really honest here: Nitro and Thunder are garbage. I'm sure these were more impressive when they came out, and I'm willing to forgive the graphics since every polygonal game on the PlayStation that isn't Final Fantasy VIII is hideous, but the gameplay - my god, the gameplay. I've been spoiled silly by Smackdown's sensible and easy to use controls where you have a button to lock up; Nitro and Thunder have WWF Warzone-style moves where you press < O O or v X X or whatever to do a piledriver, and everybody has the same moves and god damn it is bad. And that's leaving out the insanity of having random wrestlers do run-ins (the first trial match I wrestled, Rey Mysterio ran in to beat up one of the Nitro girls).
Backstage Assault I perversely actually like the best, even though it's a mess of a game. I'm just gonna come out and admit it - I kind of love Backstage Assault just for the novelty value. In this era of PG-rated WWE games where DIVAS can't use weapons at all, it's just downright fucking weird being able to boot this game up and make Stacy Keibler kill Torrie Wilson by repeatedly hitting her over the head with a ceramic sink or iron bar.

So that's what you have to look forward to; I await with baited breath your angry comments and annoyed emoticons. This is truly going to be the greatest month in the history of our sport('s hideous decade old WCW wrestling games)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Dexie said...

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64, dude. I had some brutal hardcore Diva matches in that back in the day.

...pretty sure the second Smackdown game let them use weapons too. Now THAT'S a hell of a wrestling game, my favorite in the entire SD/SD vs Raw series.